Saturday, February 07, 2009

Coffee Talk


Yes, I would agree with Consumer Reports taste-testers who picked Eight O’Clock Coffee as America’s best-tasting coffee. Put those beans in your grinder, Starbucks, and grind them!

Seriously, though, on one level , I respect Starbucks’ successful marketing efforts, but I do not especially like the robust products found there. And I know many small coffee houses were run out of business by the giant. But, hey, isn’t that the American way? Please don’t take my random ramblings as anti-Starbucks. Did I show just a tad too much glee that the mega company got bested?

I have written about the corporation before when the Glen Ellyn, Illinois, Starbucks ran afoul of one customer and garnered some media attention. A couple of years ago they apparently kicked a 70 year-old woman out of the downtown Starbucks claiming employees mistook her for a homeless person. She wasn't.

But I have a couple of new Starbucks stories.

One of the former interns for the nonprofit I work at rallied a bunch of Starbucks customers at the location where she worked as a barista, and they put up a Christmas tree with the names of needy kids and bought a bunch of Christmas gifts for them. Now that’s nice and it really helped our organization when toy donations were down.

The second Starbucks story comes via my daughter-in-law whose car got hit by a sign while she was in the drive-through. Apparently, everything was handled to her satisfaction—the car damage will be taken care of and they gave her some free coffee coupons. Good thing she likes Starbucks.

Well, I did digress dear gentle readers. Chock it up to too much caffeine this morning. And in case you wondered, I was drinking Trader Joe’s French Roast.

9 comments:

UmmFarouq said...

I think most Starbuck's coffees taste like ashtrays. Sorry, I just don't care for their coffee ways.

The old fashioned me likes 8 o'clock too, as well as Choc Full o' Nuts. My new love is La Vazze from Italy...so, so smooth. Too smooth, in fact, because I can drink 4 mugs of it a day.

Anonymous said...

I, too, have been enjoying an imported Italian coffee for about a year or so. With my budget in the shape that it's in, Eight O' Clock will be the next likely choice. Can no longer afford the pricey stuff. A friend gave us a bag of Starbucks for Christmas and it is very tastey. It's just a normal blend , though, nothing crazy. I will just be thankful that I can afford coffee at all- many cannot.

Anonymous said...

Eight O clock coffee is cheaper than Starbucks, obviously, but i'm not so sure they can beat the Bux in taste

Marion said...

Hmmm...I have never liked Starbucks coffee...I don't like decaf, and their regular coffee makes me way too jittery! I prefer to find a very mile blend of coffee, and then water it down some more. Real coffee aficionados rarely like my home-brewed coffee, lol!

There is even a Starbucks, which just opened, here, now.

Rick Rockhill said...

I've never had 8:00 coffee before, will try it tho. I buy costo organic coffee and love it

Anonymous said...

thanks for the nod sheila, and thanks for the congrats! still trying to do all i can to get HSP's name out there even though i'm not interning anymore.

as a side note, my starbucks isn't the only one that does good deeds for the community...if you ever need coffee donations for a senior, see if a local store would be willing to sponsor someone. we can't do it all the time, but we do what we can when we can.

take care!

Anonymous said...

thanks for the nod sheila, and thanks for the congrats! still trying to do all i can to get HSP's name out there even though i'm not interning anymore.

as a side note, my starbucks isn't the only one that does good deeds for the community...if you ever need coffee donations for a senior, see if a local store would be willing to sponsor someone. we can't do it all the time, but we do what we can when we can.

take care!

Anonymous said...

Well, after commenting the first time, I purchased a bag of Eight O Clock- hate to report that it tasted like warm, brown water. No flavor at all.
However, I recently took a chance on a bag of Dunkin Donuts coffee (purchased from the donut shop, not the grocery store- cheaper and more coffee in the bag- go figure!) This coffee rocks! Strong enough without being bitter- smells and tastes great.
Next try will be a bag of Red Diamond coffee that I snagged a few weeks ago while visiting my hometown of Birmingham ,Alabama.This is a brand that is native to the area- will get back to you on it's taste. Used to be able to buy Royal Cup but now can only get it wholesale.

Bellelaide said...

Coffee taste tests can sometimes be misleading. It all depends on which coffee they are tasting. I personally think Starbucks Sumatra is terrible but it's Ethiopian is divine! It really depends on whether you like acidic coffee, smoky coffee, light or dark.
There is a coffee for everyone.
In Birmingham we have lots of local coffee roasters. Check them out at
www.perkupbirmingham.com