Thursday, June 17, 2010

This Morning I Cried

GULF SHORES, Ala. – Dolphins and sharks are showing up in surprisingly shallow water just off the Florida coast. Mullets, crabs, rays and small fish congregate by the thousands off an Alabama pier. Birds covered in oil are crawling deep into marshes, never to be seen again.

I cried when I read the beginning to the Associated Press story. I don't what else I can say, but I am deeply saddened to see this happening to the region I love. My memories are intact but the hurt I feel right now for the animals and people suffering the insult inflicted by the BP oil spill simply overrides them.


artwork by Joan Daugherty

4 comments:

Marion said...

What can I say, Sheila? I am nauseated...sickened to the core...about the news. And so frustrated. I wish beyond anything that someone, somewhere has the answer to stop that awful Oil flow.

I know how much love you have for nature, dear friend, and how beloved that area is for you. I wish I had comforting words. Instead, I think I'll just join you in tears...

Betty G said...

Love and prayers to all in the gulf affected by this spill. My heart goes out to the wildlife down there.

Rick Rockhill said...

It is quite sad. An amazing tragedy for animals and people alike. And Humanity for that matter.

Unknown said...

Just stopping to say hello! It looks like you have taken a break. At this moment, it looks like the oil spill is being controlled. I'm sorry it took so long. I have friends in that region who were livid.

Take care,
KJ