Wednesday, December 03, 2008

She Stopped and Changed Course



With a slight layer of snow on the ground, a mostly flat prairie landscape has prepared itself for winter. Acres of cornfields as far as my eye could see now sport only stubs of the once flourishing crop. Almost overnight, we went from waves of green to stark barren ground sometimes dotted with flocks of Canada geese.

I almost cried the other morning on my way to work. The day, devoid of sunlight, was too much a reminder of the long, cold period ahead. How, dear gentle readers, did this former girl of the South find herself so far North? Do I dream of warmth and short winters? You bet. But most of all, I’d love to know that I wouldn’t have to worry about slipping on icy walks, steps and parking lots.

On the way back from dropping off Scott at school, a beautiful deer darted toward the road and I prayed she would stop before my car crashed into her. A small prayer was answered as she stopped and returned to the barren cornfield and I continued on my way.

I am tired. My days are busy. So busy there is little time for reflection. Maybe though this winter is just the right time—a time to beware of slippery dangers not always apparent, a black ice if you will. Maybe, just maybe, the long winter will bring a healing spring full of new growth. It’s something to look forward to.

6 comments:

Sarge Charlie said...

This sounds like a Southern Belle who needs to go back to her roots.

Hey Bama Girl, them Gators will give you a good game, the season depends on it......

Marshamlow said...

I have been so busy that I haven't had time for reflection as well. I am having a bit of the blues this week. I know exactly what I need to do to get out of the blues: eat well, rest well, exercise, volunteer....yet I do none of those things. It will come I suppose.

Anonymous said...

It may sound corny but lately I start out my day by reading The Daily Bread. It gives me a little "gas" to get my day started and keeps the bad people from penetrating my thin skin! ha ha
You are a great person, Sheila!!

Marion said...

I thought I had commented on this post; blogger ate it, I guess.

I have managed to settle into the long upcoming Winter...acceptance happened somewhere along the way, lol.

Winter is celebrated here, I don't think there is any other choice, since it is such a long, cold one. There are many festivals and fairs...they all help to light up the long nights and keeping people upbeat.

As you say...after Winter comes Spring. After solitary reflection, you can celebrate with the rebirth of Spring.

Diane J Standiford said...

Spring is just around the corner.

Sarge Charlie said...

Miss Shelia, the Tide has nothing to hang their head about, there was no losers on that field......

The link you read is a Chicago Attorney, he writes well and is very well informed about the Machine. He should be on your read list.