Sunday, December 13, 2009

Price-less Gifts


Gifts of remembrance are to quote MasterCard’s ubiquitous tagline, “Priceless.”

When you remember a person’s name or personal preferences, it can make his or her day, thereby becoming a gift completely price less.

The young clerk at the bakery near my work gives me a gift of remembrance each time I stop in. By the time my hand is on the shop door, she is reaching for a chocolate-iced cake donut. “Maybe I will try a muffin one day,” I say, as she rings up the purchase—86 cents. I hand her a dollar bill and toss the 14 cents in change into the plastic tip cup. Yes, I know chocolate-iced cake donuts are not on my South Beach Diet, but how can I resist when I am thus rewarded?

And I am again rewarded when at work I recall a donor’s name as she or he brings in a bag of gifts this busy season. Tom brought in bag of basketballs last Christmas for the kids in our programs, and this year I happened to be at the front desk when he returned with this year’s donation: 10 basketballs. “You must have gotten quite a deal again,” I said as Tom smiled broadly.

My boss says we all wear a big invisible sign around our necks that says, “I want to be recognized.”

I am beginning to understand just what she means.

6 comments:

Rick Rockhill said...

I read somewhere that using someone else's name when you address or greet them has some kind of powerful sub-conscious bond of acknowledgment. I need to find that study somewhere and get back to you!

Sheila said...

Rick,
I would be interested for sure. But how often do we remember too when we are not acknowledged?

Marion said...

I knew no one when I moved. It took awhile for that acknowledgement to occur...but, boy! Was it ever great when I was recognized. It felt like home, finally.

I went to a Christmas party the other night. A lady who I had acknowledged early in the evening came up to me and told me how happy she was that I had remembered her.

Super post, Sheila...as always.

Sheila said...

Marion, thank you! What goes around, comes around.

Lorelei said...

Sometimes when you remember someone it freaks them out. I remembered the name of the cute waiter at a hotel where we always stay, and then one year he was the one who delivered our room-service order. I greeted him by name and he scooted out that door as fast as he could! haha! Adrian, wait for your tip!!!!!!!! :D

Merry Christmas!

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.