Saturday, December 05, 2009

Sheila’s Christmas Countdown


I’ve written so many Christmas-related posts since I started blogging that I really am taxed to come up with something new. In my first Christmas post back on Nov. 24, 2006, I wrote about my favorite Christmas book. I won’t repeat what I said there except to say, The Best Christmas Pageant Ever is still the best ever.

However, this year I will first be reading a recent book and invite you to read along--an on-line book discussion group if you will. The New York Times story on “29 Gifts: How a Month of Giving Can Change Your Life” (Da Capo Press) by Cami Walker focuses on the notion that generosity improves your health.

Each day, I see the good side of humankind in my job at a small, grassroots not-for-profit organization, the Humanitarian Service Project. If you want to see the other side, watch the news. It’s all there.

For me, though, I know the power of goodwill and generosity firsthand. My attention was immediately captured when I read the story about Walker's book, and a stop by the bookstore will be on my list of errands today. That, and a stop by the Christmas tree lot, which is a departure from last year when my little apartment had no Christmas tree. For the first time since 1971, I did not decorate a tree. Freshly single after 36 Christmases, the ritual was more than I could handle. However, as it is with most challenges, you adjust.

Despite a crazy-busy work schedule filled with long days (our Christmas Offering is in its own countdown to Christmas), I need a Christmas tree this year. If nothing else, I need to smell the fresh scent of evergreen when I wake up. I need a reminder that the promise of Christmas symbolized by the tree can still be in my heart.

Happy Saturday!

3 comments:

Lorelei said...

Post a picture of your Christmas tree! :)

Marion said...

I printed out that New York Times article. I believe very strongly that giving is an antidote to stress. It's worked for me...and you know what? those kindnesses I do for others are returned in spades! I love it!

I'm so glad you are decorating a tree this year. It takes some time before all the 'firsts' are done with and one can enjoy old traditions.

YOU have a very happy weekend, Sheila!

Sheila said...

Lorelei, I will after a bit of cleaning up.

Marion, Hope your weekend is great too. I had fun shopping yesterday. What you say about firsts seems spot on here. I always appreciate your wisdom.