Wednesday, December 05, 2007

A Christmas Homecoming


College Boy will be home for winter break in six days. Final papers, tests and assignments will have been completed and CB’s first semester will be history. I sense a note of anxiety in his voice when he makes those less frequent calls home. At this point, my job is to reassure him that he can do it even for the class whose professor gives “hard exams.” With advice like, “You study harder and more than you ever thought possible,” I also tell him that all I expect is that he gives it what he’s capable of doing.

I did, however, receive an unexpected phone call this morning at 8. “I’m just calling to let you know I’m up,” CB said. “My politics and terrorism final is at 8:30, and I didn’t want you to worry.” “Oh,” I replied, “I didn’t realize it was then. And I really don’t worry. I know you’ll do what it takes.”

Yes, I especially look forward to this Christmas homecoming even if it means the grocery bill will spike upwards for the next few weeks. It will be good to share the nest with him and catch up on movies and pop culture and hear all about his new life and friends.

I’m lucky and don’t think I don’t know that.

6 comments:

Don said...

“Politics and terrorism” sounds like a course I’d like to take. I’m confident he’ll give it his best and do well.

Empress Bee (of the high sea) said...

you certainly are lucky honey! have a blast with him!

smiles, bee

Lorelei said...

I'm so glad he'll be home soon for a visit.

Sarge Charlie said...

I sure hope he winds up on the RIGHT side of that course.

Sheila said...

Don,
College Boy has found the class hard but interesting. He's met and questioned former Sen. Bill Bradley and the class has visited a U.S. attorney involved with detainees. To say it's a topical class is an understatement. He's read tons of government documents concerning the subject too and all this as a freshman.

Sarge,
CB is quite a guy--sweet but when it comes to politics, he's about as outspoken as you are going to get. I'll leave it at that.

Marion said...

It took a couple of days for my kids to relax and wind down after a semester. I let them be...they slept and slept and slept!...and then I had to realize that they had their own way of doing things now, new ways they had learned by living alone.

I had to learn to step back from this, as well.