Monday, December 03, 2007

Good Works at Christmas


If I had money, I’d want to give a lot of it away to organizations and schools. I’d give some to the Salvation Army since I know the kind of work they do to help the disadvantaged. I’d give some to my son’s old performing arts high school, Booker T. Washington Magnet High School in Montgomery, Alabama, for a stage. The school is full of talented kids who have to rent out a stage in order to perform for larger audiences. I’d give money to build a Habitat for Humanity house. I’d give enough money for a scholarship or two. The wonderful community college, College of DuPage, which taught me a thing or two about design could see a student benefit, and maybe I’d give some to the University of Alabama. Save the Children, the local food bank and other worthy charities might receive my money.

But, you know what? I wouldn’t want my name on anything, not even if they insisted.You can skip publishing my name in any publication. Better yet, use that space to write about the good you are attempting to do. Here's the thing. I’d want to be like that little old lady in Mississippi who cleaned houses all her life and who through her frugality amassed a fortune, which she left to charity when she died. Until I amass my fortune, I always stuff a dollar of two in the Salvation Army's kettle this time of year. Don't you think you could too?

11 comments:

Miss Trashahassee said...

Sheila,

Yes, yes, yes. The Salvation Army is a very good organization and I make sure that I always have something to put into the kettle whenever I walk past one, even if it's just some spare change. I've seen the good work they do and they deserve the support.

Thanks for posting this.

BFF,
Miss T

Sarge Charlie said...

very good Sheila, they do good works and have been around forever.

Lorelei said...

One of my favorite things about Christmas is going to Walmart and seeing the Salvation Army pot and the ever-ringing bell. I love putting my dollar in there, every time I go. But if only it would make the ringing stop... ;-)

Sheila said...

I'm glad the Salvation Army continues to be a charitable organization with a good image. There's a big reason--they actually do a lot of good helping folks. Send them your money instead of television preachers who seem to live awfully high on the hog.

Jackie said...

Sadly we don't have the Salvation Army at Christmas these days playing on many street corners. Probably for security reasons. They are my favorite Human charity and do amazing work here with AIDS orphans here who either have lost both parents to the disease or were dumped because they got it from birth or both. Very sad as their orphanage was even robbed a couple of times. If I won the Lotto that would be the first place to get funds from me.

Jackie said...

Sadly we don't have the Salvation Army at Christmas these days playing on many street corners. Probably for security reasons. They are my favorite Human charity and do amazing work here with AIDS orphans here who either have lost both parents to the disease or were dumped because they got it from birth or both. Very sad as their orphanage was even robbed a couple of times. If I won the Lotto that would be the first place to get funds from me.

Anonymous said...

Jackie, you can always mail in a donation.

Jackie said...

I regularly do send a donation what I miss is the band playing as it always made Christmas sound like Christmas instead of those terrible commercial records in shops like BoneyM or whatever they are called.

It would just be to win to give enough to make a real difference.
We have nearly a million Aids orphans the majority without a home.

Sheila said...

Jackie,
I don't recall ever hearing or seeing the Salvation Army Band in person. I am glad the SA is trying to help the children who are orphans. That is so sad to see these children who have lost everyone close to them. AIDS on your continent is a problem the rest of the world should help out with more.

Marion said...

I remember the Band playing at Christmas as well; they are not as apparent as they once were. At Christmas, the Band would even come to the schools and play on stage during the Christmas concert.

If I had enough money to be able to donate to charities in a big way, I would do it anonymously as well...people don't need to know about the person who donated...they need to know where to put the donation for the most good.

Good timely post, Sheila!

Sheila said...

Thanks, Marion. My respect for the SA came early when I saw an elderly great aunt adopt it as her cause. She was always helping in some way, even as she edged toward 90. Bless you Aunt Ella.