Monday, August 13, 2007

Nearly Time

How did it get so late so soon?
It’s night before it’s afternoon.
December is here before it’s June.
My goodness how the time has flewn.
How did it get so late so soon?
Theodor Seuss Geisel, a.k.a. Dr. Seuss

Part Two
It’s the ah-ha moment. I get it now. For the last month there’s been this tension and at times a snarliness that puzzled me. Nothing I did seemed to be right.

CB is pulling away, reading himself for the changes ahead, readying himself as both the driver and navigator. His dad and I are merely backseat passengers now, and he is in charge of which route to take, not us.

The procrastination too, is his way, I believe, to assert that independence.

Today's the big day. I feel as if we’re off to Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry. CB’s house, Martin is known as the men’s party dorm. Hendrix College doesn’t have a Greek system, but residence halls seem to take the place of sororities and fraternities and bind a mad assortment of personalities in at least one common identity. Martin is to CB as Gryffindor is to Harry Potter.

Hendrix doesn’t have a football team either. A t-shirt with the message “Hendrix Football—Undefeated Since 1961” is popular among some alumni. CB hopes the president’s idea to bring football back flops. CB says, “That’s one reason I didn’t want to go to Bama.” I swear that boy is mine, and he’s even been to a Bama game, but the Crimson didn’t wear off on him good enough. Anyway, Hendrix is exploring NCAA Division III football and that hardly compares to the Southeastern Conference, does it?

So good luck to the class of 2011, “The Harry Potter Generation,” and my fellow parents. I’ve got a box of Kleenex stashed in the car. I’ll let you know if I need them for the return trip home and we’ll see if I can follow more of Dr. Seuss’ wisdom: “Don’t cry because it’s over. Smile because it happened.”

12 comments:

Rosemary said...

Hey, I went to Bama, and never did catch the football fever!

Sarge Charlie said...

The Dawgs are king.......

Don said...

sarge, I hope we don't get into which school has the best football team. A few days ago a man was killed just outside of Wetumpka as the culmination of an argument over whether Prattville High School or Wetumpka High has the best football team. You can read about it @ http://www.montgomeryadvertiser.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20070812/NEWS/708120323

Don said...

That URL may be too long to post, so what follows "article?" should read AID=/20070812/NEWS/708120323

Marion said...

I find when I have to let go of a thing or being or situation, the anticipation of the event is actually worse than when it happens.

Cry as much as you can, Sheila...let the gut-wrenching fear, joy, love, fear, pride, and fear all just come blasting out of you.

And then, go and embrace those 'new' opportunities.

My heart goes with you.

Don said...

UPDATE TO MY PRIOR COMMENT: As it turns out, according to this article (http://www.montgomeryadvertiser.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20070814/NEWS/708140327/1001) in the Montgomery Advertiser, the argument that led to the murder of an innocent bystander was not over which school had the best football team, but over……guess what……girls, of all things. This is just another signpost pointing to the heathens among us.

Sarge Charlie said...

football I understood, not girls, too old for that.......smile

Anonymous said...

Sarge--

A woman is old when she stops looking good.

A man is old when he stops looking.

Sheila said...

DB,
I wasn't in a sorority but went to all of the games that I could. I think my interest was fueled from watching Bear's Sunday afternoon replay shows as a kid. He'd mumble something, tip that bottle of Coca Cola and hawk the Golden Flake potato chips and somewhere along the way, they'd show a picture of Denny Chimes. I didn't want to go to any other college. For me, football was part and parcel of the Bama experience.

Sarge,
Well, something else we can politely disagree about. Won't dare try to convince you those "Dawgs" are a fine team. And bulldawgs are awfully cute!

Don,
It could have been over football. Sports and women--add drugs and alcohol and there you have it. Lots of reasons to start a fight.

Thanks, Marion. I'm ready to embrace those new opportunities. Didn't do the crying thing. More about that later.

Sheila said...

Jay, I'll bet Sarge appreciates a pretty woman as much as the next guy. No harm in looking, I always say. That goes for the fairer sex too.

Sarge Charlie said...

I read the article Don, not going to argue about football or girls with them BAMA folks

Sheila said...

It's more the Auburn ones you have to watch out for, Sarge. They're the ones with the gun racks and pickups. Well, I have seen Bama fans that you could say that about too.