Wednesday, November 15, 2006

Well, I Guess I Should Listen

If you read my earlier post, you know we are having bad weather in Montgomery today. The Atlanta Highway/Taylor Road area of the city is where most of the damage is from what could have been a tornado. The Fun Zone, an entertainment center with a childcare center for kids, is heavily damaged. All of the kids are safe according to WSFA, but the video of the destroyed building leaves you to wonder how the children escaped injury since it looks like the building was flattened. The Auburn University Montgomery (AUM) campus is now closed mainly because of some power outages. Homes in this part of town have scattered damage, shingles and such. Down south of town in Pintlala, trees are down and a Methodist church was damaged. Meanwhile, Alabama continues to have warning after warning with a steady, heavy rain. We are in for a long afternoon.

6 comments:

Tim said...

That's some of the few things I certainly don't miss about the south - the year 'round tornados and extra-severe thunderstorms. Although, we do get the mini-hurricanes and oceanic wind storms over on the west coast here. I think Bergen's always been somewhat protected because it's surrounded by very tall mountains and it sits indented into the mainland. My island and the neighboring one sits out like a sore thumb and gets hit directly every time a whopper of a storm comes.

Sheila said...

Tim, I guess no matter where you are, you can always talk about the weather. I kind of thought we'd be safe in the late fall, but then I remember wearing shorts at Thanksgiving.

Anonymous said...

As Mark Twain remarked: "Everybody talks about the weather, but no one does anything about it."

Sheila said...

Jay,
I love the Twain quote. It made me laugh and I needed that.

Marion said...

Yes, we had a hurricane pass through yesterday, too! With another on its way this afternoon. Hopefully, the wind's strength won't be as strong!

Lots of damage and power outages.

Sheila said...

Wow Marion! Hope you don't get it too bad. I surveyed some of the storm damage from yesterday's tornado (least it looked like it was that to me)a while ago, and I still am amazed that the 30 or so children made it out of the entertainment center alive.