Sunday, February 04, 2007

Let Them Eat PIE!


A few posts ago I wrote about Red Velvet Cake (RVC), and since then I've noticed a lot of visitors who were finding my blog after seaching for RVC on Google. I don't know why there's such interest. Was there a magazine article or is it because Valentine's Day is approach and people are looking for a pretty red dessert? If it's the latter, I have another recommendation that's a perfect Valentine's dessert.

I'm including my recipe for Strawberry Pie which I happen to think is a great treat especially this time of year. We had some lovely Florida strawberries last week. If you can still get the berries at a reasonable price, this is a tasty treat for your sweeties.

Strawberry Pie

Ingredients
1 cup sugar
1/2 teaspoon red food color
5 tablespoons cornstarch
7 ounces 7-Up
fresh strawberries (quart)
baked pie crust
whipped cream

Preparation
Mix the first four ingredients & cook until thick.
Place the strawberries in crust & pour glaze over them.
Garnish with whipped cream & refrigerate.

7 comments:

Jackie said...

The strawberry pie sounds great and I can actually make it, even as a vegan, with one substitute only (the cream) :)

Thanks. Will get strawberries tomorrow.

Naomi said...

Sounds great Sheila. I love strawberries.

Anonymous said...

Sounds scrumptious to me, but why the 7up?

Sheila said...

This recipe is supposed to be one of those knockoff recipes for Shoney's strawberry pie. If you look at other recipes, you will find water instead of the 7-Up. My guess is that years ago, 7-Up came up with this version but I'm just supposing here. Other recipes call for Jello for the glaze and Cool Whip for the topping. I can't stand Cool Whip and would recommend a little of the real stuff instead.

Dana said...

Ooo, I love red velvet cake. My grandmother used to make it and I have tried my hand at it lately. No one I have spoken to up here in Chicagoland has heard of it. So, I made one and took it to a family party. It went over very well.

Sheila said...

Well, they don't know what they are missing. When we lived in the area, I recall coming across a box of Duncan Hines Red Velvet Cake mix at Aldi. I thought that was unusual. Anyway, if old Martha Stewart has a recipe (and it's a good one) then maybe the popularity is moving beyond the South.

Marion said...

I saw Duncan Hines Red Velvet Cake Mix after I read your post about it. I smiled when I saw it and remembered your post!

I thought the 7-up unusual, but thought it was a Southern tradition, lol!