Wednesday, September 27, 2006

Banned Books Week


Think for yourselves and let others enjoy the privilege to do so, too. Voltaire

While I was thinking about the books that influenced me as a kid, I came across mention that this is Banned Books Week. The American Library Association sponsors this every September and it’s worth going to their Web site to see some of the books that have been challenged. For the first time in a long time, “The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn” by Mark Twain is missing. I didn’t see any of J. K. Rowling’s Harry Potter books on the top ten either. But “The Catcher in the Rye” by J.D. Salinger is there. Several challenged books deal with sex in some fashion or the other. Now, sex, that is the one subject sure to get the banners on their horses and ready for a crusade.

Go forth and read!

About the illustration: this digital collage was a class project when I was a student at College of DuPage in Glen Ellyn, Illinois in 2002. I created it using PhotoShop.

No comments: