Tuesday, September 05, 2006

Roll Tide, Hotel Talisi & Monte


Natalie and Jeff drove down from Chicago and spent Labor Day weekend with us. Monte, a 10-week-old liver and white English Springer Spaniel, came with them. Our first granddog is a ton of fun. Husband nicknamed him “Montail.” We all took turns watching him race around our yard picking up sticks, pine cones and pecans, most of which we had to sweep out of his mouth. Monte swam for the first time, got bitten by fire ants, sort of chased a dove and generally enjoyed himself. Oh, I hope his mom and dad did too, because we certainly enjoyed their company. I hate that they live so far away.

Roll Tide!
The Tide rolled and husband and Jeff relished their chance to see the Alabama-Hawaii game in the 92,138 seat stadium. They were amused that Jim Nabors (a.k.a. Gomer Pyle) sang the national anthem. I reminded Jeff that "Gomer" is one of Alabama's alums and lives in Hawaii. Jeff spent the first two years of his life in Tuscaloosa while I was in law school, but he’d never been to a game. Husbandand I went to games when the stadium held 60,000. While the guys were gone, Natalie and I dog sat and went to a movie, “Little Miss Sunshine.” (Liked it. Go see it. Funny and somewhat dark.)


On Sunday, we drove over to Tallassee to have lunch at the Hotel Talisi. This is a tradition in our family going back to when my mom lived in Montgomery. When we came back to visit her, we'd take the 30 minute drive over for a wonderful lunch. It's still the same traditional Southern fare—fried chicken, potato salad, sweet potatoes, green beans, squash casserole, Waldorf salad, field peas, macaroni and cheese, my favorite turnip greens casserole and a selection of classic desserts like pecan pie, coconut pie and banana pudding. While the old hotel shows its age, the place is always crowded with folks returning from the lake or a football game at Auburn. It’s worth checking out if you’re ever down this way. Off I-85 between Auburn and Montgomery.

6 comments:

Don said...

Sheila, I’m sittin’ up on the top of this hill in Redland sctatchin’ my noggin because I’m tryin’ to figure out how Hotel Talisi’s cuisine and the South Beach Diet fit together.

BTW, cute pooch and nice pool.

Sheila said...

Well, Don, I have to agree with you about the South Beach Diet and Hotel Talisi. They don't fit. I had a hard time figuring out what would not be too far off of the plan. I didn't eat all of that stuff I mentioned of course. I had the Waldorf salad, squash casserole, turnip greens casserole and fried chicken. Didn't seem to do too much harm. I have lost some weight but not as much as the author indicated was typical (5 pounds for me). I have made some drastic changes with the carb intake and now I'm at the point where I can starting adding some whole grains and fruits back into my diet.

Anonymous said...

Your granddog is cute Sheila. He looks like a bundle of fun! I'm sure you'll miss him when he goes home! The food at Hotel Talisi sounds yummy. No good for your diet though! Still we have a saying here in England, "A little of what you fancy does you good".

Sheila said...

I do miss the puppy, Naomi. It was fun to have him visit. I determined to be better with the food intake. Now I must get my exercise up to where my doctor wants me to be.

Dana said...

Sounds yummy. When I was down in Birmingham a few weeks ago, my grandparents took me and the kids over to the Irondale Cafe (original Whistle Stop Cafe from the book, Fried green Tomatoes). I love me some cold, sweet tea!

Sheila said...

Dana, I've never been there. My older son loves sweet tea, but I can't tolerate it. Way too much sugar. I sometimes get it by mistake and have to return it.