Friday, December 15, 2006

Why We Love Bad



What's our fascination with the song "Grandma Got Run Over By a Reindeer?" A few days ago, I posted the words and a link to the audio and ever since I've gotten a ton of visitors who had Googled the song's name and got me. This morning, I was at Target in the electronic section, and there came the familiar tune from one of those select a songs setups. Is it because like me, you can't contain a smile when you hear it? I guess it falls in the category of a secret that we don't want to admit to. Kinda like watching the movie, "Elf" or "Earnest Saves Christmas." And liking them.

Christmas Countdown - 10 days

4 comments:

Marion said...

Those songs and movies lighten my moods a lot, making me smile, just as you said. And at Christmas, it just feels better to feel cheery!

Tim said...

Not intentional to be a little "Freudian", however I think we humans like that which is "lightly bad" or as my father calls it, "sinfully humorous" because it helps us cope with stress, annoyances and otherwise. After all, they've always said that laughter is the best medicine. But, then again, sometimes something is just simply funny with no need for an explanation whatsoever.

I gave it a little thought, too, and if one of my family members or friends had died via reindeer hit and run or something similarly "unusual", I would have to admit - grieving wouldn't be so dark, then. ;)

Anonymous said...

Don said...
No matter whether it's squeaky-clean humor or even ribald, I believe that humor adds enjoyment, if not years, to one's life.

Naomi said...

They play this song a lot on the radio here in England! It always makes me smile when I hear it!