Monday, August 07, 2006

Katie Couric Wears Black

So Katie Couric wears black and I’m supposed to take her more seriously?

From a story in the Wall Street Journal: “But how Ms. Couric looks will help shape her image as she discusses weighty topics like the Middle East.” Forgive me, Ms. Couric for I don’t wish you ill, but I’d much rather listen to Bob Schieffer, "broadcast journalism’s most experienced Washington reporter" so says CBS. He’s got the experience, humor, and standing as a journalist. Well, maybe Mr. Schieffer is ready to retire and doesn’t give diddly-squat about being the permanent anchor. If I can’t have him, then give me Comedy Central's Jon Stewart and "The Daily Show" or Stephen Colbert’s "The Colbert Report" with his goofy thing about bears and interviews mocking gullible politicos. Added plus for Colbert, he’s a Southerner. I’ll get my news there, thank you very kindly CBS.

Yes, I know it’s all about image these days.

The word in marketing is branding and imaging. It’s filtering down throughout communications. More from the WSJ: “Her message in the promo: 'Elegance, authority, seriousness,' says Anna Wildermuth, a Chicago image consultant.”

You can have all the messages and image you want, but it boils down to credibility and “authority” is not a chicken salad sandwich delivered on a platter.

No comments: